You may have seen sequin sweaters floating about the internet, and I bet you that the majority of the ones you've favourited, pinned, saved and hoarded are probably by non other than Markus Lupfer. I am IN LOVE with his sequin sweaters, super chic and comfortable which is perfect for any lazy day. I love it when its comfortable to be in fashion, screw the whole pain for beauty or what ever the saying is, I love my no fuss comfortable clothes! Granted, I poked myself an insane number of times with the needle while making this sweater....so I guess that does fall under the pain for beauty and fashion category. Anyways, onwards with the tutorial! It's quite time consuming, but the result is nothing if spectacular!
An original Markus Lupfer Sweater cost: $400
My DIY: $25
- A sweater (I got mine from Joe Fresh for $16)
- Sequin trim in blue (6mm), black (3mm), red (6mm) and gold (3mm) [for the original Markus Luper sweater, he uses 4mm sequins, I wasn't able to get my hands on those, so i opted for different sizes, use whatever you feel comfortable with]
- Thread in colours matching the sequins
- Template (you can download it here)
- Cut out template
- Trace the pattern onto the shirt with chalk
- Take your sequin trim and start sewing it down, starting with the coloured sequins. I decided to forgo white just because the contrast against the charcoal sweater was too harsh, but if you use a lighter grey sweater you can give it a try.
- Outline everything with the smaller black sequin trim
- Make sure everything is secure
Tweet me a photo if you end up making your own version @Cheers_Charlie
A style post will follow with this sweater just in case you have no idea on how to style it :)