November 20, 2012

DIY Tutorial:: Marc by Marc Jacobs Mouse Flats


As mentioned earlier, here's the DIY for the Marc by Marc Jacob Flats which I had contributed to Fashion Parkway, be sure to tweet me a picture @Cheers_Charlie if you guys end up making a pair yourself!

.................................................



I have simply been lusting after Marc by Marc Jacob mouse flats for years! Marc Jacobs must be doing something right considering that they have been reissued season after season in an array of colours and styles. You have your studded ones, glitter, pony hair, and sling backs. So many options to chose from but my absolute FAVORITE would have to be the studded ones. I love the added edge factor and it reduces the cartoon-ish factor. It's a chic way to wear animals on your feet!

Total cost: $60 (compared to $200+)


Supplies:
  • A pair of plain black flats (I got mine from Zara)
  • 4 x 9mm conical studs*
  • 28 x 6.5mm conical studs*
  • 26 x 6mm round studs*
  • 18 x 3mm round studs*
  • scrap leather
  • scissors
  • exact-o knife
  • pliers
  • white chalk
  • needle and black thread
  • E6000 adhesive
*I ordered my studs from this store on Etsy

Continue reading for full instructions >>>















Steps:
  1. Mark your flats with white chalk to create a guide for your studs, use a picture of the Marc Jacob flats as reference.
  2. Place your studs through the flats, you may need help with poking holes with an exact-o knife. I used a stud and where ever it left indents, I made small incisions so the prongs could go through the leather. Alternate a round stud with a conical stud as you go around.
  3. Take your pliers and bend the prongs into the material. You want to make sure the prongs are pressed in all the way to prevent irritation to your feet. If you're still concerned with the prongs scratching your foot, you can add a layer of gross grain ribbon on the inside with some glue.
  4. Cut out a pair of ears of each shoe and sew the ears in place, gluing them is also an option, but I find that sewing is more stable.
  5. Place the large conical studs as the eyes and make sure to bend the prongs through all the way
  6. Take your tiny 3mm studs and bend the prongs until you have a flat surface.
  7. Take your E6000 adhesive and carefully glue your tiny studs to the front of your flats. This will be the nose.
  8. Let the adhesive cure for 24hrs.
  9. Wear them out and just wait for the compliments to fly at you!
Happy DIY-ing!
Charlotte


46 comments:

  1. Amazing! :D

    New post on my blog, check it!

    http://theannelicious.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I really love your style of doing this, wish I had time to make the studded flats! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Its super easy, you can get it done over a weekend. Tweet me a pic!

      Delete
  3. Great post!

    http://www.thegaragestarlets.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. my god!!!thank u for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you did a great job dear!
    I really LOVE your blog, keep it up!
    I'm following, your diy's are gorgeous!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks stunning!!! You really did an amazing job!!!

    http://beautybubblesinyourlife.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these shoes are so cute =))) In love.

    Wonderful evening♡.

    http://lavieestbellebyclina.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this! would you like to follow each other? let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you and I would love to! Left a comment on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is incredible, that first picture took me a few moments of adjusting before I realized it wasn't a MJ mouse flat! LOL go you!

    SDMxx
    www.daringcoco.com
    NEW GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG! Enter NOW

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is by far the most innovative diy that ive ever come to see.

    love it

    xx m

    thisishowwerule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your blog and these are amazing! How long did they take!?
    Would you like to follow eachother on Bloglovin’ & GFC, Check out my blog and let me know, I’ll follow straight back!

    http://www.kellyjade.co.uk
    Kelly

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and they took me around a day and a half, but that was with documentation and waiting for the sun to come back (gotta have good lighting for good photos!) I'm sure you can get it done within a day :)

      Followed you!

      Delete
  13. Great DIY !
    They look amazing !

    http://www.olastory.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. the mouse flats look AMAZING, you did a great job, they look completely store bought :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I'm really happy with how they turned out!

      Delete
  15. Absolutely brilliant! You did such a fantastic job! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm very impressed. It looks like the expensive version from the store!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice job!
    Follow your blog by GFC, hope, you'll follow me back)

    Kicky Jane

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the most amazing DIY project I have ever seen! What an amazing pair of shoes. Too cute.
    www.step-brightly.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just one word - AMAZING!

    Lots of love,
    elizaelizabete.blogspot.com - take a look and if you like it, please follow via GFC or Facebook! I will gladly return the favor :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so great! Thank you :)

    http://theundersized.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! You're so great in DIYs! :)

    XOXO,
    Jenna of Daydreamer Fashionista. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are so cute and so chic! They look completely high-end! Nice job! :)

    http://ahemitsemme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read through each and everyone of them, lots of love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...